This position is responsible for assisting with planning and securing the ongoing stability by building and managing the financial, operating, and administrative systems infrastructure. The incumbent sets goals, monitors work and evaluates results to ensure objectives and operating requirements are met and are in line with the needs and mission of the organization.
This position reports to the Chief Executive Officer.
Provides interpretations and makes recommendations concerning major organizational financial and administrative matters indicating alternatives and solutions to the Chief Executive Officer.
Works directly with the Chief Executive Officer and senior staff to set overall organizational policies and priorities. Considers and analyses the implications of proposed actions and decisions by individual areas on the whole of the organization (financial, operating and administrative aspects).
Works directly with central finance and administrative staff.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for financial management monitoring including all revenues, expenses, endowment funds and investments.
- Advises Chief Executive Officer, senior management on financial matters assessing and explaining long and short-term implications for the organization of alternatives and decisions.
- Develops and maintains polices and controls for financial functions.
- Manages the development and monitoring of overall organizational and departmental operating budgets.
- Responsible for managing all accounting processes including allocations and designation to ensure accuracy and timeliness.
- Oversees the preparation of standard and ad hoc financial reports required for responsible fiscal management. This includes budget analyses, cash flows and forecasts.
- Manages all aspects of financial relationships with external groups.
- Continuously realigns all aspects of the organization’s operations and support services to facilitate and reinforce the effectiveness of strategic plans. This includes realigning key business processes, the organizational structure, management practices, communications, and the development and deployment of staff.
- Assesses and analyses the financial, administrative and operational implications of proposed actions and decision by individual areas and departments on the whole of the organization.
- General management and implementation of all services required to operate efficiently and effectively including – space planning, central reception, capital equipment, central purchasing policies, building maintenance, etc.
- Manages the donor services area to significantly enhance the ability of the organization to manage and operate effectively by ensuring that gift processing systems and policies are accountable, cost effective and efficient.
- Development and implementation of basic human resource functions.
- Consolidated organizational hiring policies including rationalization and management of overall organizational staffing (management of costs, staff placement, allocation of human resources, etc.)
- Job descriptions, performance reviews, professional development, leave tracking.
- Management and administration of the collective agreement, including responsibility for negotiations, grievance procedures, management adherence to collective agreement.
- General management of all aspects of organizational HR requirements and responsibilities, including creation of economies and effectiveness.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
- University graduation in business or a related field, professional accountant or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Individual must possess a minimum of 10 years combined leadership and financial management experience including five years in a senior management capacity with a complex not-for-profit organization involving a significant number of people and organizations with diverse and varied interests and backgrounds.
- Proven success with strategic planning, process re-engineering and project management.
- Individual must possess a high degree of technical expertise in accounting and financial management.
- Able to lead and motivate groups and individuals. Able to think creatively and strategically to successfully mediate and negotiate with individuals and groups internally and externally. Able to effectively manage a large staff, multiple deadlines and tight time constraints.
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communications skills.